Friday, January 6, 2012

Bang Bang Shrimp

The cast of characters for the sauce (well, not the wine; I was drinking a spritzer)...mayonnaise, sugar, rice vinegar, garlic chili sauce.

Whisk all together in a small bowl until ready to use. 

Heat the oil to 350 degrees.


Throw in 1/4 of the shrimp at a time (after you've cleaned them and run them through a mixture of Panko bread crumbs, flour and basil, then egg mixture, then back through the bread crumb mix); oh and after you've put them in the refrigerator for 20 minutes so the flour mixture stays on them.
Anyway, this is the final result. I forgot to garnish with the green onions I chopped.  Use extra sauce as a dip on the side.

We've heard all these good things about something called Bang Bang Shrimp lately.  My picky sister-in-law even loves these shrimp.  She talks about how Bonefish Grill has them on special Wednesday nights.  I love all things food, especially shrimp, so when I was browsing on Pintrest about a month ago I found a pin that someone posted for this recipe.  People commented on and on about how great Bang Bang Shrimp is.  I Googled the recipe and found that the Pintrest one was very similar to the other recipes I found.  Even if my sister-in-law wouldn't think my recipe tasted like the real thing I knew it would be good regardless.  How can you go wrong with a mayonnaise based sauce and deep fried shrimp?

I bought some *fresh shrimp at the meat counter and brought them home to peel and devein them (the nastiest job in the world).  I dragged them through the mixtures, chilled them then deep fried them.  We put ours over a bed of fried rice but I think Bonefish puts theirs over lettuce or something.  We drizzled some of the sauce on and marveled at the sight of something that was actually deep fried right here in this old house.  It smelled the the Fall Festival in the kitchen.  Yum!

We took our plate of delicacies downstairs and proceeded to savor our artery clogging snack while watching "Bob & Carol & Ted & Alice" on Netflix. Has anyone seen that retro movie starring Natalie Wood?? LOL!  It was good.    I mean, both the movie and the food.  The shrimp was fried perfectly and had the nicest sea-food taste. The breading was crispy and the sauce was oh, so yummy.  If anyone wants the recipe I will post it on here or email it to you.  It's a labor of love.

*that shrimp you can buy in the freezer section in a bag is so bland compared to fresh shrimp.  The fresh only cost about $1 more per pound and is well worth the extra $.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds and looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You lost me after the very first ingredient. Blech

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay, that's true for you but you could just eat the shrimp. They were yummy even without the sauce. Or would be good in a sweet-n-sour type of sauce. Silly girl.

      Delete