Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Oscar's Party

My friend, Darrell (aka "KS"--kindred spirit) asked me to co-host an Oscar's party with him this year.  He has had several of these in the past but hadn't had one for a while.  I told him I love to help plan parties and so that's what we did last weekend.  We held the party at his house and vowed to do another one next year, bigger and better!  We put red carpet from the front sidewalk all the way into the living room area.  We put gold stars down with our guests' names on them.


Darrell was able to borrow 4 large, gold styrofoam "Oscars" from a local florist. We put two outside and two inside.  He had spotlights shining on the outdoor ones.  Too funny!
Above is our little area where our guests got their pictures taken when they arrived to the party.
Some of the pictures taken with my phone are not the clearest but you get the idea.
Our party started around 5:00 when the red carpet coverage started and ended after the last award was given out.  I think I got home at midnight after helping with a quick clean-up.  Thankfully I planned ahead and took a vacation day on Monday.
I ordered a lot of balloons and used them throughout the living room and kitchen area. Balloons make great corner fillers and are very festive.  I love balloons!!!
I used these dollar store frames to put all the best picture nominees in and placed on the fireplace mantel.  I hadn't seen any of the movies up for best picture so looked up some information about each one and used generic clipart with the movie names.  Will definitely do this for next year!
This is a cake one of our guests brought from a local bakery. 
The nice thing about Darrell's friends is that most of them brought food with them to the party.  And I'm talking food that they prepared and not just a bag of chips!  ha ha  I like to party with this bunch!  We had some delicious goodies to snack on while watching the red carpet and then the Academy Awards show.
I made these red velvet stars, Oreo truffles and chocolate covered strawberries. 


(these pictures are out of order but...)  Below is Bob working on his ballot because we had little trophies to give to the winners and a bigger cheap plastic trophy to give to the person who got the most awards correct.  Above is the winner of the grand prize which was awarded around 11:00 pm when the show ended. 



We kept the guests to adults only so we could cozy up in the living room and watch the show without any distractions. I think we had about 15 people there at the busiest and several people left after a few hours when they needed to.  It was just a nice, fun, relaxing evening.  We talked about having everyone dress in their pajamas for next year! 

1 comment: