Saturday, March 9, 2013

Custom Bookshelf

I'm kind of picky about some things so when I suggested we got a bookshelf to set up in the downstairs I knew I'd never find one just like I really wanted.  We also wanted something that would match the store purchased entertainment center we have downstairs and the handmade DVD shelf Bob built over the holidays. 


Since Bob has all these tools collecting in the garage we decided that he would build us the piece we wanted for the downstairs. Our garage has been a workshop all winter it seems.

Of course, the labor is free but buying good wood is not cheap!  We probably could've purchased a ready-made piece for what we spent on wood but it wouldn't have been the correct color or idea I had in my head. 

In our minds, we had this massive wall unit mapped out but after spending some time at Menard's piling up all the pieces we needed on the cart, we realized we'd need 4 adults to carry the finished piece inside.  We cut our idea back by about 1/3 in order to actually be able to move it (and save some money).


So, above are some of the pieces laid out on the garage floor.  This was the first day Bob started working on it last weekend.  The large area in the bottom will be two cabinets with an open area between to stash floor pillows.  Above that will be 6 shelves, all of different sizes.  The total size is about 73"h x 48"w.

More to come...

1 comment:

  1. Bob is becoming a great craftsman. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete