This soup is a rich, quick, easy soup to make if you want potato soup but don't want to do a lot of prep. It calls for frozen hash browns which eliminates the need to peel and boil potatoes. I used shredded in this batch but should have used the cubed hash brown potatoes. Garnished with cheddar cheese, fresh parsley, bacon and rosemary-garlic bread.
In addition to the ingredients seen below I also added some celery seed, parsley and just a tad of bacon fat, salt and pepper and hot sauce. If you don't care for the cream soups the recipe calls for you could always use cream of potato soup instead of celery or chicken. I thought about trying that the next time. You could also add a handful of some other type of cheese at the end of the cooking process to give it a different flavor.
Original recipe: One bag hash browns, 16 oz of Velveeta, 28 oz chicken broth, 2 cups milk, can cream of chicken and cream of celery. Simmer hash browns in broth for about 30 min. Add everything else and simmer until cheese is melted and soup is warmed through. I love adding herbs so used my own garden-fresh Rosemary and some thyme leaves. If soup seems too thick you can add more milk or broth. Of course, like all soups, this one tastes really good on the second day. I tend to make any soups we're going to eat the day before so the flavors can develop overnight.
Of note: I call this soup "Aunt Sarah's" because it is from my sister-in-law and after we had it for the first time at their house in Colorado, Robbie would ask me to make "Aunt Sarah's potato soup".
No comments:
Post a Comment