Monday, August 13, 2012

This Old House

What started out as purchasing a sectional sofa has led to more than a week of hard work here at this old house.  We're not done yet.   I am exhausted as I write this.  Thankfully, I am off work today so can take some time to relax...although I do have some painting to do later.  Ugh.

Here is the family room when we got started.  Remember what it looks like because it is very different now :)

Doom and gloom.  Wish I could've talked Bob into painting that wood years ago.

Well, might as well take down the ceiling and replace it too.  ha ha  The domino effect.

Up goes nice, new ceiling tiles.  Probably the easist part of this project. Bob scored a new power staple gun for this project.

Relocating electrical stuff and installing new lighting.  I think this is my favorite thing in the room.
Above, time to start priming those nasty walls.  The first primer we used took 5 coats to hide the stains, etc.  We finally got another type of primer and only had to use 2 coats on the other walls.

Below,  this is what those wall boards had on them when we bought this old house.  Since then we covered them with green paint and merlot paint. Isn't it funny how people decorated in 1969?  ha ha

Ah, finally we see that there is a light at the end of the tunnel.   Starting to add new color to the room.

Our choices are called Pony Tail and Amaretto.  The wall boards and the hall are Pony Tail and all wood is Amaretto.

Get up Bob!!! We're not done yet.

Bob the Plumber.....installing quarter round...

Ceiling trim... (he also scored a new circular saw with a stand for this project which means he can now do this for me in the living room and upstairs hall---but I'll wait to ask him after soccer season is over)

Chair rail....

Window trim...

Oh, and more painting.

Can you believe it?!?!   The sofa will be delivered around lunch time today.  I'll post some more updates in a few days after we get some other things done.  Still have to get new curtains, lamps, rugs, artwork, and start on my office area.  Yes, you heard me correctly.  We haven't even started on that side of the room but have nearly everything we need to replace the ceiling, trim, etc. 

4 comments:

  1. What a beautiful transformation.
    The room is brighter and looks twice as big.
    Can't wait to see the sofa. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Omg.......finally figured out how to reply on blog!!!!!mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Still looking forward to the finished project. Mom

    ReplyDelete