Saturday, May 5, 2012

Kaylyn's Birthday

Kaylyn turned 16 recently so we had a mini party for her.  I made her favorite cake, Red Velvet, and we gave her balloons and a gift card to one of those teen stores at the mall. 

She was so nice as to leave  forget the cake at our house overnight and we were able to try a piece...
It was a new recipe I hadn't tried  yet and ended up being the best Red Velvet cake I have ever baked (I've only made a few of them but this one was the best).  Jennifer had a birthday recently too so I made her one the following weekend and surprised her with it.  Red Velvet is her favorite also and she said it was very good. 

You know how I usually use boxed cake mixes for most of my chocolate, white and yellow cakes but I've tried the boxed Red Velvet and it's just not very good.  This recipe was from scratch and called for buttermilk and an entire bottle of red food coloring, of course.  I used a simple vanilla buttercream for the frosting.   Bob wants me to try to make a Green Velvet cake sometime so I'll post about that if I ever decide to try it.

No comments:

Post a Comment