Wednesday, February 1, 2012

It's Not 1985

It's not 1985.  Things aren't the same now as they were back when I was a teenager...at the age of 17.  I hear this from my son on a pretty much weekly basis.  "Okay, Mom!  Quit comparing your life to mine!!"  I hear this often like when I tell him I didn't get my own car until the Spring of my junior year (no matter what my parents have told him).  I got the white phantom cruiser (aka 1969 AMC Ambassador) when I was a junior, not when I turned 16.  Believe me, I remember. 

It's not 1985.  "Why do I have to stay home during( most) weeknights when my grades are good?"  I hear this one too so I let him go out sometimes to support school events because why should he stay home and watch Real Housewives with me?

It's not 1985.  "I don't want to eat dinner when you and Bob do. You mean you're going to make me sit with you at the table even if I don't eat anything?" Dinner time was mandatory at my house( and so was drinking milk with it).

It's not 1985.  We didn't have cell phones back then.  THANK GOD! "I texted you, didn't you get it?"   Call me on my home phone and leave a message.  I'll call you when I get home.  Like we did in 1985.

It's not 1985.  Gas is no longer $0.79 per gallon like it was when I was in high school. And if one (teenager) doesn't make any money then how is one going to put gas in their future vehicle.

It's not 1985.  Most moms have to work nowadays, including me. I sometimes don't feel like planning and preparing a hot, nutritious meal every night of the week like my mom did.  Sometimes we're going to eat cereal or PB&J for supper here at this old house.  Or do like Bob and get a coffee cup filled half with peanut butter then half with maple syrup and eat it out of the cup with a butter knife.  Not kidding!  Happened just last week.  LOL

IT'S CERTAINLY NOT 1985.  Because in 1985 my parents would not have EVER considered allowing me to take a friend, much less a boyfriend, on vacation with us like this ole mom is doing (well, girlfriend in this matter).  Dad, are you finished choking after reading this one??  ha ha!  Yes, we have decided to let Robbie bring "little Missy", as I affectionately call her, on vacation with us.  Bob and I will have to take turns sleeping with one eye open.

It's not 1985.  My friends and I are now 43 and some of us are starting to feel it a little but are going to continue to fight to be young and practice a little immaturity when we get together.  Like last weekend when I told Kristi and Ellen it sucks that everyone has caller ID now because I really had an itching to make some prank phone calls.  I wished it were 1985.



1 comment:

  1. I had a good laugh at this post. No matter what year you are born when you have a teenager there are always 4 things that take over their lives: driving,money,food and family.

    ReplyDelete