I baked homemade cinnamon rolls again this Christmas. The first reason is because I wanted to eat them on Christmas morning with homemade breakfast casserole which I blogged about a couple months ago when our friends stayed with us. And we have a Keurig now and the thought of piping hot coffee with sweet rolls and breakfast casserole on a cold Christmas morning just sounded lovely.
So one weekend day I spent several hours in the kitchen making these little gems. I made one batch....which is about 40-50 rolls or 7-8 pans...then once I got started and realized how perfect they were turning out I decided to share some with our closest friends and family so they could enjoy cinnamon rolls on Christmas morning too.
I had pans of cinnamon rolls everywhere.
And our kitchen smelled wonderful all day long while they baked.
I used the maple-coffee frosting from the original recipe on The Pioneer Woman blog and sprinkled a few chopped pecans on some of them before packaging to deliver.
It was nearly impossible to not get a fork and just eat them from the pan as soon as they came out of the oven with icing drizzled over the top. But, I did resist.
I sealed up the pans with a bag of icing and used these cute little place cards to put a little label on top. What a good use for place cards, huh?
I delivered 8 pans of rolls before Christmas day meaning we had 8-9 pans for here at home. Dangerous! I kept out two pans for us then froze the rest. I will try to not eat anymore for a month or so but Robbie just loves sweet things for breakfast so I will let him pull out a pan to reheat every once in a while.
I found several variations to The Pioneer Woman's sweet rolls on her blog and would love to try to make the orange or caramel ones, maybe around Easter. I love making these things! It's a yeast dough but extremely easy to work with and there is no kneading involved. I had several messages from friends and family about how much they enjoyed their rolls on Christmas morning. I think it may have been one of the best gifts I gave out this year and will continue to be an annual tradition here at this old house.

OMG they were so good. Thank You from the person who does not bake.
ReplyDeleteYou're welcome! I was hoping they'd still be good after coming out of the freezer and then coming to your house. They are even better coming right out of the oven but the logistics of delivering them at that point is impossible. lol!
ReplyDelete