Saturday, March 29, 2014

An Unrelaxed, Fidgety Organizer

One of these long weekends I'm going to relax.  I have to use my vacation days by the end of the fiscal year which is June 30 where I work. I'm very fortunate to have worked at a job I love so much for nearly 15 years and at that level I earn the most amount of PTO (vacation/sick/personal) days that one can earn.  That's 29 days for me!

So this spring instead of taking off entire weeks I've decided to take several long weekends for a couple months.  A Friday or Monday here and there makes for a nice, long weekend but it seems there's always some project to do.  Okay, I'll rephrase that....I always seem to plan projects to do on my extra days off.  I've decided that I may have OCD.  I am in love with to-do lists, organizational projects, cleaning something, cooking something, moving something, rearranging something, etc.  I can't just make a simple meal; I have to surf Pinterest for menu ideas then spend an hour at the store choosing the ingredients, and come home to spend 2 hours in the kitchen making the recipe. By that time my "day off" is nearly gone.  Or I'll decide to do a project that should only take a couple hours but I'll spend half the day working on it then feel like I didn't really have a day off from working.

I've also found that I cannot just sit and watch tv.  I'm either researching something on the internet via my phone or computer, making plans for something, texting a friend, getting up on commercials to clean something, etc.  I'm okay with all of this but in the past month I've just noticed how much I cannot sit still when I'm in this house. Like right now, I'm blogging while watching a very important basketball game and on commercials I switch channels to see if Malaysia flight 370 has been found yet.   Bob's used to me being like this as he says I've always been this way, or at least since he's known me.  Even when we sit outside in the summer he's in the swing drinking a beer and I'm on the ground pulling a weed or digging in the garden.  He can sit for hours in the same position and not move a muscle.  How in the world does one do that??

I'd say I was a perfectionist but if you look around I'm not a cleaning fanatic as evidenced by the fact that I haven't dusted for a couple weeks and every mirror in this house needs to be cleaned.  I'm more of an everything-needs-to-be-in-a-special-place type of person. And I feel crazy if it's not that way.  I gave up on being spic-n-span after living with two males for the past 13 years.  I love using my label maker to show where things go and get mad when a can of fruit is on the vegetable shelf.  Can't these people read? 

My next day off is April 7 and I've decided I'm going to NOT clean, complete any project or organize any shelves or cabinets that day here at this old house. We're going to order pizza for dinner so I won't even have to shop or cook that day.  If it's nice outside I'm not going to garden; I can sit outside but I cannot use any gardening tools or my hands to dig in the dirt.  I'm going to unplug from social media, internet and texting and read my magazines or start a new book.  If I stay in I'll watch a movie but I'm not going to do anything else while the movie is on.  I'll just sit and watch it and not fidget. 

I'll report back and let you know how it goes.  I hope I don't explode.

1 comment: