I could do an entire post on the bison calves of Yellowstone. But I won't. They are the cutest little guys though and I love watching them play and run alongside their mamas. It's amazing how they change after their first few months. I definitely like them when they're really little.
Below is a wolf walking away from a carcass. We saw several wolves on this trip. They were reintroduced into the park several years ago and have flourished in that time, but there is some weird mange-like disease going around so I'm not sure how this will affect their population in the next few years.
Above, this little guy was found by Oxbow Bend near the lake. He was munching on leaves or something. Didn't seem to care that I was near him but took off into his hole in the ground when I got closer. Below is a Yellow Bellied Marmot. I like these critters too. They like to live under and around rocky areas. They look like they're wearing black leather gloves on their hands.
Above is a female elk we watched cross the Madison river one day. The water wasn't very deep and she managed to get out to the strip island to graze for a while. Below is a raven. You can find them all over the park and one tip is to look to the skies for a circling raven as that could be a sign that there is an animal carcass somewhere near and that means the possibility of seeing a bear or wolf.
No comments:
Post a Comment